Four-time DWI felon handed over to ICE for deportation after LI judge released him without bail
A once-deported illegal migrant convicted of four felony DWIs on Long Island was busted again for driving without a license — and turned over to US Immigrations and Customs Enforcement, Suffolk County authorities said Tuesday.
Pablo Aguilar-Alvarez, 36, was busted by cops in Riverhead on Monday — less than two weeks after he was convicted of his fourth DWI in 10 years, the Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office said.
“It is self-evident that given his history of multiple felony convictions, Pablo Aguilar-Alvarez is a clear and present danger to any Suffolk County citizen traveling on our roads,” said District Attorney Ray Tierney in a statement.
“He is a repeat felony drunk driver who does not belong behind the wheel,” Tierney said.
“Less than two weeks after his fourth felony DWI conviction, and despite explicit instructions not to drive, the defendant once again got behind the wheel of a vehicle.”
Aguilar-Alvarez was convicted of felony drunk driving by jurors, but was released without bail by Suffolk County Judge Bryan Browns on Aug. 10, pending his sentencing — where he faced up to seven years behind bars.
Less than 10 days later, Aguilar-Alvarez was pulled over in Riverhead and found to be driving without a license, the DA’s office alleged.
He was issued a summons for misdemeanor aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle.
Aguilar-Alvarez had been barred by the court from operating a motor vehicle as he awaited sentencing on October 2.
Prosecutors consulted with federal immigration authorities after his latest bust, and Aguilar-Alvarez was taken into ICE custody as he was leaving the DA’s office following processing on the new charge, authorities said.
It is not clear when the migrant from El Salvador first entered the US, but he was deported in March 2024 after his third DWI conviction, and subsequently reentered the country illegally after, the DA’s office said.
Tierney said plans to bring Aguilar-Alvarez back to Suffolk County to face sentencing on the felony DWI conviction, as well as the new summons.