Liberia Agrees to Take 1,200 Deportees From U.S.

The Liberian government said on Tuesday that it would take up to 1,200 deportees from the United States in the next year, one of the largest known deals that the Trump administration has struck to send migrants to countries where they often have no ties.

The first group of 20 deportees is expected to arrive in Liberia on Thursday, the country’s government said in a statement.

The announcement comes as the Trump administration has said it wants to send to Liberia the Salvadoran immigrant Kilmar Armando Abrego Garcia, who was wrongfully expelled last year from his adopted home in Maryland and has since been returned to the United States. His lawyers are currently fighting that effort in the courts.

As part of its push to accelerate deportations, the administration has tried to strike agreements with countries around the world to accept migrants who legally cannot be deported to their own home countries for a variety of reasons, including that some could face persecution there.

In order to convince nations to enter into those agreements, the administration has offered a range of incentives, including paying for foreign security forces and offering to ease visa restrictions or tariffs, as The New York Times has reported.

The Liberian government said on Tuesday that its agreement with the United States was “not a transaction with a quid pro quo.”

“Liberia has not demanded or received any compensation or promise of reward in exchange for its consent to participate in the program,” the government said in its statement. “Liberia will receive support to help manage the program and strengthen its migration system more broadly.”

The Department of Homeland Security did not immediately respond to requests for comment. A State Department official said in a statement that the department does not comment on the details of private diplomatic communications with other governments.

The administration has struck third-country deportation deals with more than 30 nations since the start of President Trump’s second term, according to Human Rights First, a nonprofit group that tracks deportations. Those countries include the Dominican Republic, Eswatini, Cameroon and South Sudan.

Such arrangements have come under intense criticism from human rights groups, which say that the Trump administration is dispatching vulnerable migrants to unfamiliar countries, including those with a history of human rights abuses. Some of the deportees have also been subject to detention after being sent to third countries.

The Liberian government said on Tuesday that it would be welcoming the migrants from the United States as “guests” and that they would be offered “the necessary support” to be safe during their stay. They will be free to leave the country or remain and apply for asylum, the government said.

The administration has been pushing to send to Liberia Mr. Abrego Garcia, who spent months in a notorious prison built for terrorists after being deported to El Salvador.

Mr. Abrego Garcia was ultimately brought back to the United States to face human smuggling charges that were later thrown out by a federal judge in Nashville for being an abuse of prosecutorial powers.

Even before the criminal case was dismissed, his lawyers have been fighting his expulsion to Liberia, just as they fought his removal to a series of other African nations, saying that the government cannot simply deport to him to a third country, especially when he has agreed to be sent to Costa Rica and that country’s government has agreed to take him.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *