Supreme Court allows Trump’s White House ballroom construction to continue for now

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

U.S. Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts temporarily allowed above-ground construction of President Donald Trump’s White House ballroom to continue Friday, staying a lower court injunction that would block the work.

Roberts issued an administrative stay of the preliminary injunction entered April 16, by the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, putting the injunction on hold “pending further order” from Roberts or the Supreme Court.

The move puts the case in a temporary holding pattern while the Supreme Court considers whether construction can continue as the underlying legal battle plays out. Above-ground construction can continue for now.

JUDGE ORDERS TRUMP TO HALT WHITE HOUSE BALLROOM CONSTRUCTION, ESCALATING LEGAL FEUD

Chief Justice John Roberts attends the State of the Union address. (Tom Williams/CQ-Roll Call, Inc via Getty Images)

A federal appeals court mandate blocking construction had been scheduled to take effect Friday.

The Trump administration asked the Supreme Court last week to intervene in the months-long legal battle, arguing that halting construction would threaten national security and the safety of the president and other senior officials.

TRUMP SAYS WHITE HOUSE BALLROOM RULING JEOPARDIZES LIVES OF FUTURE PRESIDENTS, VOWS SUPREME COURT APPEAL

In its emergency application, the administration described the project as an “integrated military complex” that includes a secure ballroom space and argued that the project is critical to protecting the president, his family, White House staff and visiting foreign leaders.

The administration also pointed to assassination attempts against Trump in arguing for additional security measures associated with the new complex.

TRUMP PULLS BACK CURTAIN ON WHITE HOUSE BALLROOM’S FORTRESS-LIKE DEFENSES ABOVE AND DEEP BELOW

President Donald Trump holds a design rendering of a proposed $400 million presidential ballroom at the White House.

President Donald Trump holds a design rendering of a proposed $400 million presidential ballroom at the White House. (Aaron Schwartz/CNP/Bloomberg)

The emergency application went to Roberts, who handles emergency matters arising from the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit.

The National Trust for Historic Preservation, which is suing to block the project, opposed the administration’s request and argued that Congress has authority over federal property and had not authorized the ballroom project.

REPUBLICANS RUSH TO GREEN LIGHT WHITE HOUSE BALLROOM FOLLOWING THIRD TRUMP ASSASSINATION SCARE

Rendering of the proposed White House

A rendering of the proposed White House ballroom shared by President Donald Trump on Truth Social on Feb. 3, 2026. (Copyright Donald Trump/Truth Social)

The preservation group also accused the administration of attempting to outrun judicial review by accelerating construction while the litigation proceeded. In its filing, the group said a 250-person crew had been working “20 hours a day, 7 days a week.”

The Trump administration has taken an aggressive position in the dispute, arguing that construction has advanced to the point that judicial intervention would come too late.

APPEALS COURT LETS TRUMP RESUME WHITE HOUSE BALLROOM CONSTRUCTION, SEEKS LOWER COURT CLARITY

White House ballroom

The White House helipad and new ballroom extension under construction in Washington, D.C. on Aug. 5, 2026. (Aaron Schwartz/Bloomberg via Getty Images)

The legal fight reached the Supreme Court after a divided federal appeals court ruled that Congress had not authorized the ballroom. The ruling would have blocked above-ground construction while allowing underground work associated with new security features to continue.

Roberts’ Friday order keeps the lower court injunction on hold for now but does not resolve the underlying dispute over the project.

MORNING GLORY: SCOTUS SHOULD URGENTLY ALLOW CONSTRUCTION AT THE WHITE HOUSE TO PROCEED

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

The White House did not immediately respond to Fox News Digital’s request for comment.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *