LIV Golf’s long-imperiled season mercifully ending early
LIV Golf’s season is officially ending early.
The rebel tour announced on Monday that its team championship event, slated for the end of August in Michigan, is canceled.
Instead, the tournament scheduled for Aug. 20-23 at The Club at Chatham Hills in Indianapolis will serve to crown LIV’s individual and team champs.
“By concluding the season now, we can put our full resources behind what comes next and maintain the operational rigor this transition demands,” CEO Scott O’Neil said in a statement.
The move confirms what has been rumored for weeks, with the $40 million Michigan event at The Cardinal at Saint John’s Resort in peril for nearly a month.
It comes after the tour canceled a New Orleans event in June.
LIV has been searching for new financial backing with the Saudi Arabian PIF set to pull the plug on its $5 billion worth of funding at the end of the league season.
O’Neil, reportedly seeking $300 million-$350 million to keep LIV Golf going, announced earlier this month that he found investors, though it is not clear who they are.
It’s enough to give O’Neil optimism about the future — 2027 and beyond.
“And ’28 and ’29 and ’30,” he said.
The Indianapolis event will see Jon Rahm win his third straight individual title, while the likes of Bryson DeChambeau, Joaquin Niemann, Lucas Herbert and Tyrrell Hatton play for second and third place.