ZZ Top honors late drummer Frank Beard in heartbreaking tribute

ZZ Top is mourning the loss of beloved bandmate Frank Beard.

“Today, Elwood [Francis] and I lost a great friend and collaborator, and the world lost one of the most naturally innovative drummers and a great and true son of Texas,” Billy F. Gibbons, the guitarist, primary songwriter and lead vocalist for the band wrote in a statement shared to Instagram Tuesday.

“His signature backbeat was key to keeping ZZ on top,” Gibbons, the band’s last remaining original founding member, added of Beard’s percussive prowess.

ZZ Top is mourning the loss of longtime drummer Frank Beard (pictured above in August 2025) following his recent death. Getty Images
Billy F. Gibbons, the band’s guitarist, primary songwriter and lead vocalist, shared a heartbreaking statement to Instagram (as seen above). Instagram/ZZ Top

Gibbons’ post featured undated photos of Beard, one of him smiling for the camera while wearing sunglasses and another of him behind a drum set.

The band announced the cancellation of shows throughout the week in a social media post, vowing to hit the stage again this weekend to resume its the Big One! Tour with two dates for Austin City Limits at the Moody Theater in Austin, Texas.

ZZ Top’s post noted that this was “one of Frank’s favorite venues and in a city that had been something of a second home for him.”

Dusty Hill (left), Gibbons (center) and Beard (right) were the iconic trio that cemented ZZ Top’s legacy in the rock genre. AFP via Getty Images
Beard (pictured here in October 1973) died Aug. 17 after a stay in hospice at the age of 77, the Fort Bend County Medical Examiner’s Office in Rosenberg, Texas, told The Post. WireImage

Beard died Aug. 17 after a stay in hospice, the Fort Bend County Medical Examiner’s Office in Rosenberg, Texas, told The Post.

He was 77.

The medical examiner noted that Beard’s cause of death is unclear and an autopsy will not be performed.

Beard’s death comes a few short weeks after ZZ Top was scheduled to play a show at the Hollywood Bowl on Aug. 5, canceling mere hours before the show was set to start.

With the deaths of Beard and Hill (in 2021), Gibbons is the last remaining member of the founding trio who performed together for more than 50 years. (The bandmates are pictured here in September 1999.) Getty Images
Beard’s cause of death is unclear and an autopsy will not be performed, per the medical examiner. (Beard is pictured above in October 1973.) Getty Images

“The ZZ Top tour has unforeseen personnel matters that have forced the band to cancel its appearance at the Los Angeles landmark,” a statement from the band regarding the cancellation read.

Gibbons blamed “insurmountable obstacles” behind canceling the show, adding, “Friends, fans and followers of ZZ Top are the best in the business and the band is counting on everyone to bear with us for this brief interruption.”

ZZ Top was formed by Gibbons in 1969. He brought in Beard at the suggestion of longtime bassist Dusty Hill. Together, this cemented the iconic trio that remained together for more than 50 years.

Hill died in 2021 at the age of 72, with Francis — the band’s longtime guitar tech — being brought in to replace him to honor his wishes.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *